Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a retired Kentucky teacher turned self-taught artist. Originally, I built and sold primitive farmhouse furniture like shelves, tables and plate racks. Soon I found myself creating accent pieces like chickens, crows, and weathervanes. My love of making functional furnishings had evolved into a passion for making “art.” While I had no formal training in art, friends insisted I was not just making stuff with junk, I was creating mixed media sculpture. I consider myself a contemporary folk artist. Carved wood, corrugated metal and coated electrical wire become a raven landing on a fence post—Raven’s Roost. Discarded metal roofing, a rusted steel rod, and hand carved cow (including udders) turned into Elsie’s Udder Side a whimsical weather vane. Night Bandit is a raccoon carved from pine with a refrigerator coil brush for a tail. Finishing my pieces with a “time worn” painting technique is a unifying characteristic of all of my work. Coming up with a catchy name for each piece is always a fun way to finish.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Preseason Training

As I watch the end to another NFL season with this years version Super Bowl Forty-Six, I am suddenly reminded that "my season" is quickly upon me (By the way... Congratulations N.Y. Giants on tonight's 21-17 victory). The season to which I refer is the 2012 art show & festival season.

Although it is only early February, I know unless I get extremely focused and productive, it is going to be "game on" before I realize it. Winter should be a time for relaxing & renewal from the rigors of a spring and fall show season, however, winter is more like preseason training. Yes, you must find time for renewal, but you better be preparing for what the new year will bring. Reassessing 2011, making new contacts, exploring new ideas, practicing new techniques, planning & applying to shows, and making new art begin the list of tasks that must become part of your daily "workouts".

2012 has the potential to be an exciting year for me and my art. I am transitioning toward the type of show that will more frequently put my folk art audience in front of me. I have spent many hours networking with fellow artists, researching the Internet for shows that primarily feature folk artists, and have tried to expand my work in new mediums that may help me appeal to a broader customer base. Atlanta, Ga., Northport, Al., Morehead, Ky., Louisville, Ky., and Ashville, N.C. are but a few of the destinations to which I hope to travel as I "take my game on the road". I am both hopeful and yet anxious as the reality of how fast this season is about to unfold.

Another busy week has come to a close. I must now get my rest ( after all, I am in training). Tomorrow, I continue my regimen;making ready for when I have the chance to put all this hard work & preparation from my preseason training into action as I take the field in a  "big show" near you!

Really... have I been able to use enough sports cliches' to suit you???

No comments:

Post a Comment