Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a retired Kentucky teacher turned self-taught artist. Originally, I built and sold primitive farmhouse furniture like shelves, tables and plate racks. Soon I found myself creating accent pieces like chickens, crows, and weathervanes. My love of making functional furnishings had evolved into a passion for making “art.” While I had no formal training in art, friends insisted I was not just making stuff with junk, I was creating mixed media sculpture. I consider myself a contemporary folk artist. Carved wood, corrugated metal and coated electrical wire become a raven landing on a fence post—Raven’s Roost. Discarded metal roofing, a rusted steel rod, and hand carved cow (including udders) turned into Elsie’s Udder Side a whimsical weather vane. Night Bandit is a raccoon carved from pine with a refrigerator coil brush for a tail. Finishing my pieces with a “time worn” painting technique is a unifying characteristic of all of my work. Coming up with a catchy name for each piece is always a fun way to finish.

Monday, February 13, 2012


Getting Plastered???

One of the materials that I have been experimenting with is plaster embedded on gauze fabric. I was able to get several outdated boxes of this medium from the orthopaedic surgeon that my sister works for. I thought that it might be a nice complement to the paper mache' work I have been doing.

Thus far, I have mixed reviews about it's potential as a viable medium. The advantages of using this medium include: it hardens very quickly (usually sets within 4-5 minutes after being shaped), it becomes easily activated when placed into very warm water, it can easily be cut into usable pieces for smaller detail work, you can cover a relatively large surface area quickly, rolls are available in a variety of widths, and you can achieve various textures depending upon the way you manipulate the plaster.

The disadvantages include: it appears to be expensive (although, I have not done any in depth research), it takes multiple layers to "build-up" the thickness to assure structural integrity, it is messy, it gets your armature very wet (so you must consider if your materials will deteriorate if it absorbs too much), the wet roll sticks on itself and is difficult to wrap in close quarters, and the archival properties are unknown.

If you have used this medium or know someone who does, I would really appreciate your feedback and/or the necessary contact information to reach your resource. For now, I plan to find ways to put my supply to good use. I may provide future updates as I obtain more information, feedback, and/or experience with this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment