Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a retired Kentucky teacher turned self-taught artist. Originally, I built and sold primitive farmhouse furniture like shelves, tables and plate racks. Soon I found myself creating accent pieces like chickens, crows, and weathervanes. My love of making functional furnishings had evolved into a passion for making “art.” While I had no formal training in art, friends insisted I was not just making stuff with junk, I was creating mixed media sculpture. I consider myself a contemporary folk artist. Carved wood, corrugated metal and coated electrical wire become a raven landing on a fence post—Raven’s Roost. Discarded metal roofing, a rusted steel rod, and hand carved cow (including udders) turned into Elsie’s Udder Side a whimsical weather vane. Night Bandit is a raccoon carved from pine with a refrigerator coil brush for a tail. Finishing my pieces with a “time worn” painting technique is a unifying characteristic of all of my work. Coming up with a catchy name for each piece is always a fun way to finish.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lessons Learned

One of the lessons I am learning as I try to better my craft as a contemporary folk artist, is that there is a never ending need to continue being educated. Not the type of "schoolin'" that puts you back into a formal classroom, but the type that comes from a run-in with "the-school-of-hard-knocks". No matter if you are the graduate of a noted fine arts college, or the self-taught artist who learned from watching grandpaw, it is always necessary to be on a never ending quest for new knowledge.

I have been astounded (and at times overwhelmed) by the amount of time and effort that must be invested into making art. There are many hats that must be worn. Each requiring skills that can only be learned by experiencing them; researcher, secretary, custodian, buyer, marketing director, advertising executive, salesman, writer, photographer, packer, unpacker, and merchandiser... just to name a few.

The only life experience I can compare the whirlwind I have encountered in the past 48 months, was when I stepped into my first classroom as a middle school teacher. All of the coursework that 4 + years of college taught me, in no way prepared me for what I would experience in that first year of teaching. I had no idea the many roles I would be expected to fill. Each day was different, bringing with it, it's own new challenges. Eventually, as I became more comfortable with all the hats I was being asked to wear, I grew as a teacher.

This same passion that I had as a young emerging teacher is the same passion that I must now rely on as an emerging folk artist. I must take the challenges that each day presents, and learn from them. In other words, I have to be willing to "take the next step".

Lesson learned: Nothing of value comes without a price.

2 comments:

  1. Robbie, I am wowed. Your blog looks great....I have a long way to go! Went to your website, loved your art!

    Pam Clegg

    ReplyDelete