Pages

About Me

My photo
I am a retired Kentucky teacher turned self-taught artist. Originally, I built and sold primitive farmhouse furniture like shelves, tables and plate racks. Soon I found myself creating accent pieces like chickens, crows, and weathervanes. My love of making functional furnishings had evolved into a passion for making “art.” While I had no formal training in art, friends insisted I was not just making stuff with junk, I was creating mixed media sculpture. I consider myself a contemporary folk artist. Carved wood, corrugated metal and coated electrical wire become a raven landing on a fence post—Raven’s Roost. Discarded metal roofing, a rusted steel rod, and hand carved cow (including udders) turned into Elsie’s Udder Side a whimsical weather vane. Night Bandit is a raccoon carved from pine with a refrigerator coil brush for a tail. Finishing my pieces with a “time worn” painting technique is a unifying characteristic of all of my work. Coming up with a catchy name for each piece is always a fun way to finish.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Life Happens

Ever had one of those days as an artist when everything you touch, just seems to turn to POO. Well I am having one of those days, only its for the third day in a row. Dropped paint, interrupting phone calls, worry about a family members health, a house torn up & awaiting your remodeling efforts, and paperwork that you have procrastinated doing for months.

I was told that there would be times as an artist when creativity would not come easy. That there would be a day when despite all the passion you have for creating your art, you would "hit the wall" and not be able to visualize the next piece. A day when despite the effort being there, the ideas and inspiration were absent. Well, I'm happy to say that THAT day still has not happened for me yet (hope I didn't just jinx myself). Instead, I have been hit squarely between the eyes with a big ol' dose of LIFE HAPPENS.

"Life Happens" at the most inopportune times. Life doesn't care that you have preparations to make for your upcoming show season or that you have commissions that need to be finished. It isn't particular whether you have the greatest idea for a new piece or whether you have new mediums & techniques that you want to try. No, life happens in spite of it all.

The good news is, that "Life" does not discriminate against just artists. It will eventually greet you as well. When it does, what will you do? How will you lessen the sting of the havoc it intends on inflicting on your best laid plans?

For me, I need to give up. Give up the notion that there is something that I can do to change the chaos. Give up the idea that I could have prevented the events of life. And finally, give up the control of my life to the One who can actually affect a change; the One who is more than able to meet head-on this battle with my chaos.

Are you prepared for "it's" coming? Will you be able to trust that there is hope in the midst of it's grasp? Myself, I will be grateful for what tomorrow will bring. I look forward to checking a few of those tasks off my list tomorrow and maybe grabbing a few minutes of studio time. Sorry life, but you're not going to get the best of me this time around!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment